Arriving and departing over land

Due to the security situation in some border areas (go to about Myanmar for background information), arriving and departing over land is restricted.

At present it is only possible to travel freely over land between Myanmar and Thailand. The China crossing (at Ruili, Yunnan Province) and the India crossing (at Moreh, Manipur State) both require a permit. A new Laos border crossing is expected to open later in 2015 (currently there is no official crossing at all), and crossing to Bangladesh is not permitted for foreigners.

More information on individual crossing points and obtaining permits is provided below. For information on vehicular crossings, go to the bottom of this page.

When travelling over land to Myanmar, you must always obtain your visa beforehand; it is not currently possible to get Myanmar visas at the border.

Thailand crossings

Four Thai/Myanmar border points are now officially open to foreigners for through travel, although permission is subject to change from the Thai and Myanmar authorities. Infrastructure on the Myanmar side of the border crossings is very basic, and roads can become impassable during the rainy season.

Thailand offers visa-free travel for the citizens of many countries, but the length of the stay period depends on what country you are from – varying from 14 days to 3 months. Check here for more details.

Mae Sot/Myawaddy

The Mae Sot (Thailand, Tak Province) / Myawaddy (Myanmar, Kayin State) crossing point is the most practical place to cross for onward travel into Myanmar, because of its relative proximity to the main Myanmar transport network and places of interest such as Mount Kyaiktiyo (the Golden Rock), Hpa An and Mawlamyine.

At the passport control points (located on either side of the ‘Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge’ river crossing), there are separate windows for foreigners – you do not have to stand in the same (sometimes long) line as the locals. The border is located about one kilometre from Myawaddy bus station on the Myanmar side and five kilometres from Mae Sot town on the Thai side; there are usually plenty of motorbike taxis on both sides.

Mae Sot has daily direct flights and frequent buses to Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Mae Sai/Tachileik

Foreigners can cross the border at Mae Sai (Thailand, Chiang Rai Province) / Tachileik (Myanmar, Shan State) and travel as far as Kyaing Tong in Myanmar; to travel over land further than this you will need a permit. However, Kyaing Tong does have an airport with internal flight connections to Mandalay, Yangon and Heho (for Inle Lake, Kalaw and Taunggyi).

Tachileik’s economy is based on cross-border trade and tourism, and Thai baht – not Myanmar kyat – is the main currency. To find out more about onwards travel from Tachileik into Myanmar, go to Kyaing Tong.

Phunaron (For Kanchanaburi)/Htee Kee

This remote border crossing allows access between Phunaron (Phu Nam Ron) (Thailand – nearest town Kanchanaburi) and Htee Kee (Myanmar, Tanintharyi Division – nearest town Dawei).

There are four buses per day from Kanchanaburi to the small border town of Phunaron (70 baht), which has one guest house. The Thai and Myanmar borders are separated by six kilometres of no-mans land; there are also two separate checkpoints separated by around one kilometre. You can take a motorbike taxi (around 100 baht) or try to hitchhike between these points or further afield, in either direction.

From the Myanmar side of the border, it takes 5 hours to get to Dawei. There are usually cars or minibuses waiting, costing around K30,000 (bear in mind that if you arrive late in the day there may be no transport, and the road can become impassable during the rainy season).

Travelling from Dawei to Thailand, daily minibuses to Htee Kee can be booked through most hotels and guest houses in Dawei.


The crossing between Ranong (Thailand, Ranong Province) and Kawthaung (Myanmar, Tanintharyi Region) offers options for further travel in Myanmar – public boats on to Myeik and Dawei, as well as flights to those places and Yangon (overland travel may be possible, but the road between Kawthaung and Myeik is extremely slow and rough). Cruises to the Myeik Archipelago also start from Kawthaung.

There are regular longtail boats between Ranong and Kawthaung, taking 20 minutes and costing around 100 Bhat.

If you are on a short stay or visa run from Thailand, you will not need a Myanmar visa, but you will need your passport and a copy of the photo page, plus US$10 in crisp notes.

Sangkhla Buri/Payathonzu – the Three Pagodas Pass

Currently the crossing at Sangkhla Buri (Thailand, Kanchanaburi Province) and Payathonzu (Myanmar, Kayin State) is not open to foreigners. Even when it has been, it has only been on the Thai side, with foreigners not allowed to travel further into Myanmar.

China crossing

To cross the land border at Ruili (known as Shweli in Burmese and located in China’s Yunnan Province) /Muse (Myanmar, Shan State), you will need to arrange a special tour package by filling out this form; the package will include a guide and mandatory private transportation. You will need to apply at least one month in advance of your travel date.

If you are travelling from China, an alternative is to go to a travel agent in Kunming. The Myanmar consulate in Kunming may tell you that the border is officially shut, but this, in fact, will probably not be the case.

Yangon, Mandalay and Kunming all have embassies or consulates where you can apply for the relevant visa (Myanmar or Chinese). For details, go to embassies and other useful information.

The Mong La border crossing is currently shut.

India Crossing

In the remote north west of Myanmar, a crossing exists between Moreh (India, Manipur state) and Tamu(Myanmar, Sagaing Division). If you want to enter or leave Myanmar here, you will need to book a special travel package by filling out this form (you must apply at least one month in advance of your travel date).

Although permits are required for border crossing, foreigners can now travel in these parts of Sagaing Division and Manipur State freely.

The India-Myanmar border in the far north of Kachin State at Pangsau Pass is currently shut to foreigners.

Entering Myanmar With Your Own Vehicle

Crossing into Myanmar with your own vehicle (motorhome, car or motorbike) requires special permission which can be difficult to obtain and is expensive (likely around $10,000 – although costs can be reduced with larger groups). You will also have to be accompanied by a tour guide and a Ministry of Hotels and Tourism liaison officer. Self-drive motor tours can be arranged by filling out this form.

Myanmar tours

Book tours suitable for a range of budgets
from our list of itineraries, or
create your own

Online ticket

Get air, bus, train and boat tickets to the most popular destinations
in Myanmar


Find us on social media

Yangon, Myanmar

Saturday 25 April

Recent activity